|Category||(PUP/PUA) Potentially Unwanted Program or Application|
|Symptoms||It modifies default browser settings without your consent and restricts you from making the previous settings.|
|Damage||It continuously tracks your online activities & collects PII Information i.e. IP Address, E-mail, Search Queries, Geographical Location and Browser Type & Version.|
|Download SpyHunter’s Malware Remover!|
On initial inspection, a lot of junk files and registries are added automatically when PCs gets infected with such pop-ups. Moreover, Oreddefician.info may install unwanted programs that may contain other malware. As a result, system starts performing in a poor condition, as it is a planning settled to pick up sensitive info and send it to remote server for malicious activity. That’s why, this’ll time to avoid or remove Oreddefician.info off for being safe from further damages.
Activities that make Oreddefician.info Evident on the system-
1). Modifies default web-browser settings such as home-page, search engine & new tab functionality.
2). Replaces the default search engine with another one.
3). Restricts the user from restoring the previous settings. The new settings are automatically reassigned when user attempts to change the settings.
4). User encounters unwanted redirects to unknown URL while surfing.
5). Continuously tracks web-browsing activities
6). Records personally identifiable information of the user such as IP Address, visited URLs & search queries.
Data Collected by Oreddefician.info Redirect
Detailed analysis of Oreddefician.info Redirect has revealed that this browser extension continuously tracks online activities of the user & collect sensitive information.
Information collected by Oreddefician.info is conclusive, however is not limited to:
- Username & E-mail Address
- IP Address
- Mobile Number
- Unique Online Identifier
- Browsing History
- Search Queries
- Search Results Clicked
- Pages Viewed & Cookies
- Geo Location
- Visited Websites & URLs
- Browser Type
- System Type
It is evident that presence of data-tracking applications such as Oreddefician.info & MyQuickLotto can lead to serious privacy issues, even data theft.
Therefore, we advise users to remove Oreddefician.info.com hijacker from their system as soon as it is detected. Refer to Oreddefician.info Redirect Removal Instructions mentioned below.
Distribution Techniques of Oreddefician.info Redirect
The cyber-criminals use different strategies for Oreddefician.info distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malign program is distributed with another free software, to get an unwanted installation into your computer system. When user installs a free software, the malicious programs begins a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. However, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on the installation process screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your computer can also become infected by using removable drive or media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common techniques used for the distribution of these malware. The targeted users get legitimate looking emails which includes .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can divert the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As quick as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer very easily.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the one among which are developed by just for promoting the malware threats. Such websites contain but aren’t limited to porn sites, torrent sites as well as other free downloading platforms. By visiting these websites, the adware injects the user’s computer without permission. Fake ads and updates like Flash player or windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are some examples. while the users click on these links, their computer system gets infected. Thus, it is highly recommended to avoid clicking on such links. in addition, avoid clicking on such advertisements offering freeware stuffs like Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Removal Steps for Oreddefician.info Hijacker
Step A: Remove Oreddefician.info from the Control Panel
Note: Before we start, try to remember one thing how the extension got downloaded on your computer. Normally, these programs come bundled together with free applications that we download off the internet. It is a good practice to Find and Delete such programs while removing the Browser Hijacker/Extensions.
- Click on the “Start” button on the bottom left corner of your desktop screen. A Start menu will be appeared as displayed below. From this menu select the option that reads “Control Panel”.
- In the window, click the option “Switch to classic view”.
- This will show all the options/icons available to you. From the displayed icons, click on the icon “Add or Remove Programs”.
- Select “Change or Remove Programs” available in the option “Add or Remove Programs” category. A list will displayed on the screen showing all the programs.
- Select the programs compromised to Oreddefician.info and click on the Remove button.
- Click on “Start” button located at the lower left corner of the desktop screen. From the Start menu options, click on “Control Panel”.
- The “Control Panel” Window will be appeared on the screen. Select “Uninstall a Program” option from the “Programs” category.
- The “Programs and Features” window will be displayed on the desktop screen. A list will populate on the screen showing all the programs.
- Scroll though the list of programs and select the programs associated to Oreddefician.info and then right click on the “Uninstall” button.
- Right click on the “Windows logo” on the lower left side of the desktop screen. At the drop down menu and click on “Control Panel”.
- The “Control Panel” window will be opened. From this window click on“Uninstall a program” option form the “Programs” category.
- A list will populate on the screen showing all the programs.
- Select the programs associated to Oreddefician.info and Hit on the “Uninstall” button.
- In the confirmation dialog box, click on “OK” to save changes.
Step B: Show Hidden Files & Folders
- Select the Organize button on the Windows Explorer. A drop down menu will appear.
- On this menu choose “Folder and search options” as shown above. A Folder Options dialogue box will appear.
- In the View tab, select the option “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and un-select the option “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click on “OK” button to save your changes. This will show all the hidden files and folders visible to you.
Windows 8 and 10
- On the File Explorer toolbar, Choose the View option.
- In the Show/Hide section, Tick Mark the“Hidden items” checkbox.
- Click on the Options section.
- Under folder options, click on the “View” tab. Un-check the “Hide protected operating system files” option.
- Click on “OK” button to save your changes.
Step C: Remove unwanted & suspicious browser extensions
- Open Google Chrome and Hit on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and Select More tools from the drop down menu which is displayed & choose Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Choose developer mode option “On” located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details as well as option associated to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name developed by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to Uninstall or Remove. Copy & paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “plljhbdegkhnpjnjbhodbjgdmdnnlbcd”.
- Now, uncheck the “ON” option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click on “Remove” button to remove the extension from the browser. It is essential note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly.
- Make sure that all the hidden files and folders are visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, search for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “plljhbdegkhnpjnjbhodbjgdmdnnlbcd”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and re-open the Chrome browser. It is also suggested to restart your PC once the extension is removed.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on three horizontal lines ( ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and choose Add-ons option.
- On the Add-ons manger page, click on the Extensions tab as shown below.
- Find the extensions associated to Oreddefician.info and hit on the remove button.
- Moreover, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. If this extension was bundled with some another software, then make sure to remove them as well.
- Open Internet Explorer, Click on the Gear icon ( ) at the top right corner of the Internet Explorer Window.
- From the recently showing drop-down menu, click on the option Manage Add-ons.
- A new window will displayed on the desktop screen. On this window choose the option Toolbar and Extensions. Under the Show section, select the option “All add-ons”. This options allow you to view all the browser extensions.
- Select the Extension compromised to Oreddefician.info and click on the Disable button at the bottom right of the desktop screen.
Step D: Restore the settings modified by Browser Hijacker
- Open Google chrome and hit on the three vertical dots () available at the top right corner of the Chrome Window.
- In the Drop down menu, click on “Settings”. A new browser tab will comes out, showing all the settings.
- Now, make changes to the appearance section. Under the “Appearances” section, activate the “Show Home Button” option. You can choose New Tab page or can add Google or any of your selected browsers under the “Show Home Button” option.
- Now, go to the “Search Engine “section.
- Here, make Google or any of your favorite browsers as your default browser in the drop-down menu under the option “Search engine used in the address bar”.
- Then, click on Manage Search Engines. Now you can delete Other Search Engines which is added by the browser hijacker. Simply click the three vertical dots () and select the option “Remove from list”.
- You can make Google or any other preferred browser as a Default Search Engine by clicking the three vertical dots () and clicking on the “Make default” option.
- At the last, go to the section “On Startup”. You can select “Open the New Tab page” or can “Continue where you left off”. If you want to open a specific page or set of pages, choose the option “Open a specific page or set of pages” and remove any pages added by the browser hijacker by clicking on the three vertical dots () and selecting “Remove”.
- Then, add Google or any among your desired URL in “Add a new page” option under the “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- This is a very essential step and we would like you to pay close attention here. This step has to be repeated with all the shortcuts to the browser that you can locate; like your desktop, start menu and the shortcut pinned to your taskbar. Right click on the shortcut and a context menu will display. On this menu select the last option Properties.
- A Google Chrome Properties Dialogue box will displayed as below. Replace whatever is in the text box next to the Target with the following: Make sure that inverted commas are included.“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”
- Click OK at the last to save the changes.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the three horizontal lines () i.e. Open Menu appeared on the top right corner of the Firefox Window.
- From the drop down menu that is displayed, we have to right click on the () Options to open the window.
- Now, click Search, under the given options that is appearing in the left corner of the screen.
- You can choose Google or any of your preferred browsers as your default search engine to use in the address bar and search bar.
- Then, you have to go to the () General and under “startup” section to make sure that Firefox is your default browser.
- Lastly, You have to add Google or your preferred URL in the box given under Home Page.
- After this, you have to right click on the browser shortcuts that you can find like your desktop, start menu and task bar to which the application is pinned. A context menu will appear. On this menu click on the last option Properties.
- A Firefox Properties dialogue box will shown as below. Replace whatever is there in the text box next to the label Target with the following: Make sure that inverted commas are included.“C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe”
- Click OK at the last to save the changes.
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon () at the top right corner of the Internet Explorer Window.
- From the Drop down menu, click on the “Manage add-ons” A new browser tab will open up, showing all the add-on types.
- Now, click on the “Search Providers” option from the list of options displayed on the left side of the windows screen. Then, click “Find more search providers” option given at the bottom left corner of the Manage add-ons
- It will open up an Internet Explorer Gallery; from here you can add Google search or any of your preferred add-ons as your default browser.
- Next, go to the “Manage add-ons” window and click on the “Search Providers” option under the Add-on types.
- Here, you can enable Google Search or any among your preferred browsers as your default browser in the list of search providers.
- Lastly, we will click on the gear icon ()which is at the top right corner of the screen and select “Internet Options” from the drop-down menu.
- A new window will open showing the Internet options. In the “Internet Options” window, type Google or any of your desired URL to Create Home Page tab and click OK.
- Then, you have to right click on the browser shortcuts that you can locate like your desktop, start menu and task bar to which the application is pinned. A context menu will appear. On this menu choose the last option Properties.
- In Internet Explorer Properties dialogue box will displayed as below. Replace whatever in the text box next to the box Target with the following: Make sure that inverted commas are included.“C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe”
- Click OK at the last to save the changes.
How to prevent Oreddefician.info from affecting your computer
- Always Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to become protected as well as avoid such threats, it is recommended to keep your Operating System always updated by enabling the automatic update on your computer. The Computers with outdated or using old versions of Operating System become an easy target for the hackers.
- Avoid clicking spam emails – One among the major techniques nowadays used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The computer gets infected easily as soon as the user clicks on the mail attachments. Such mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and avoid falling for those tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite necessary that you take due care while installing any third party programs for they are major source of such threats. Such malware programs come bundled with the free stuffs thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is suggested to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an USB or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly suggests the use of anti-virus protection or internet security in your Computer such as SpyHunter and Combo Cleaner so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your Browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ad blocker in your chosen browser will assist you to keep protected from annoying adware.